Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Horsing around

I forgot to mention something in my last post. On my way back from town, I stopped by at the grocery store. Once in there, something unusual caught my eye. I had found "horse sausage" on sale in one of the coolers. Well, the word sausage is not really used the same way here ads in English, so it may be more proper to call it horse bolony ('bologna' if you're a stickler for correctness). I didn't know horse meat was THAT common around here. Later in the day, I mentioned this to my aunt, and to my surprise she told me that everything that I've eaten in my youth labelled 'hamburger meat' has in fact been ground up horse meat. Her assumption why they called it 'hamburger meat' rather than 'ground horse' was that some people (or their kids) may not enjoy their food as much if they are more aware that there are pieces of horse on the plate.

Huh.

1 comment:

  1. You have no idea how hungry this post is making me...

    ReplyDelete