Since the food here in Sweden isn't the same in most ways in comparison to what can be found in Canada (except for the basic meats, seafood, and produce - you get the point), I have somewhat adapted to a different menu in my initial weeks. My choices has been based on what I can afford, what I know is edible, and the nutritious value. Nutritious in this case is not always what is healthy, but rather what gives me enough reliable energy to last another day.
Soy beverages
Not quite the same as in Canada, but that was expected. Not as full and tasty, yet it goes down. I'm not really picky when it comes to this - I know it's health benefits enough to get most kinds down.
Bread
Again, the varieties here are quite different from Canadian varities. I have so far preferred the thin bread, that can be rolled up and used as a food container. Kind of like tortillas, but rectangular and with more flavour.
Soups
By soups here I mean soups that are drinkable cold, much like a regular beverage. My two choices so far have been two Swedish classics: blueberry soup and rosehip soup.
Noodles
I haven't yet found anything remotely close to the 'Mr. Noodles' brand, but I'll live. The quality difference between the four brands I've tried so far has been enormous! As unhealthy as this is, it's quick and tasty (to a degree), and cheap. Not inexpensive - CHEAP! The kind from Korea did not have MSG, but the one from Thailand did. Not sure what the rules are on MSG here. We all know it's bad for you though.
Tuna
The one kind I've tried so far was a bit scary. The can said finely chopped, but it's more like granular tuna. If it is tuna. Didn't really taste anything.
Tofu
Took a while to find, but I eventually did. Quality flavour and texture. My culinary highlight so far.
Blood pudding
Tasted like I remembered it - I think. No sensation. Somewhat surprising, I didn't get ill from eating it.
More to come when I get to try it.
Friday, April 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment