Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Where I stand

I have come to a point right now when I need to do something concrete. Waiting for doctor's appointments that never arrive is pointless. Instead, tomorrow Wednesday I will head to the nearest Emergency Room (30kms; not in this town) and sit there until I get admitted. If my symptoms aren't serious enough to do anything, I don't know what to do. Right now, I can't move without feeling shooting pains in my back, I've started to walk more on the front of my feet to not have to take the back pains from landing on the heel, I can't walk for more than 3-4 kms without having to lay down afterwards to be able to breathe right (back cramps up enough to affect my lungs getting enough air), and I have had sciatica in my left leg for almost a week straight.

Applying for jobs feels ridiculous, since no employer in their right mind would hire me in this condition. In spite of this, I HAVE applied to 26 jobs since in the last month that I've been back in Sweden, and I have started to call around to the places I've applied to in hope it'll help my résumé/cv move up in the pile. Unfortunately, my pathetic cell phone operator have--after a full month!--not been able to fix my wish to add a feature called Global3, which would enable me to call the countries (Canada, Ireland, and the UK) that I have applied for work in other than Sweden for a measly CAD$0.03/minute. Until they fix this, it'd cost me almost $1/minute to call, so any foreign job application follow-up is currently impossible. I just got off the phone with yet another customer service guy who promised I'd get a call later this week with a solution to the problem, and not until then could a discussion of proper compensation for them failing to activate a seemingly simple service be initiated.

Take my word for it - I won't let this incompetence slide without compensation that I consider to be appropriate. We'll see how much they value me as a continued customer, even though I'm not sure I want to continue with them. After all, everything regarding them has gone wrong from the start: it took almost a week to get my phone working, and then this Global3 feature fuck-up.
The only good thing is that I have good coverage around here, and even when we traveled up to see my cousin in Umeå. I'm also happy with the phone itself, which has some neat features that are useful (compass, step counter, MP3 player, FM radio, 2.0MP camera, waterproof, dustproof, and other normal phone stuff). I'm curious as to what they could offer me. I don't want a phone upgrade. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment