Thursday, May 7, 2009

One month in Sweden - the Pros and the Cons

So now it's been a full month since I touched down in Sweden. I had hoped that there would be some more progress in the health care area concerning my back by now, but that has not been the case - kind of as expected. I'm still waiting for the letter from the doctor's office with my appointment.

After this first month, I have had the time to see what is working here and what is not. Hopefully, the list will look positively different next month when it's time for the next list.

Pros of being in Sala, Sweden compared to being in the London area, Canada
- I have (somewhat free) health care.
- My living costs are negligable (since I only pay for water and electricity).
- I have some welfare money coming in each month.
- I don't have to live off of borrowed money.
- It's VERY cheap to call my friends in Canada on my cell phone (and all incoming calls and texts are free).
- I get to see lots of the relatives I haven't seen in ages.
- There are no bank fees from withdrawals or for having bank accounts.

Cons of being in Sala, Sweden compared to being in the London area, Canada.
- The health care system still hasn't shown that it's effective.
- I miss all my friends from the last 7 years BADLY.
- I don't like to live in circles. I go places, I don't go back to places (if I can help it).
- My cell phone operator's service SUCKS, and I still can't use the cheap phone calls to Canada after 2 weeks and several calls to the customer support.
- The food is bland, and the food that isn't, I don't know what it is.
- Tofu (and other soy products) is fairly expensive, hard to find, and the variety is non-existent.
- TV shows suck (the American shows I do like are at least one season behind, so I need to use torrents to watch the latest shows).
- I miss Taco Bell.
- My bank's nearest branch is over 30kms away.
- Fruit is VERY expensive.

This will have to be enough for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment