Sunday, May 24, 2009

Starting to see the drug addict/author connection...

...in the last few days. I still don't understand why anyone would like to go through the process of getting into drugs voluntarily, since it's a nasty one. I don't really want to think about stopping taking these drugs, but that is only a week away and I'll know soon enough.

Since my last post, I've slept a lot, and gotten used to the morphine in my system. I haven't had any side-effects lately, except for some that aren't listed on the package. Almost every time I wake up from one of my numerous naps or longer sleeps, I have a story in my head. If I took the first minutes after I woke up and wrote things down, or at least the outline, I would have the basis for several novels or shorter stories by now. Or song narratives, if I was a song writer. These stories have nothing to do with my own life, they're just fictional works that have popped up in my head while my conscious has been out cold and my subconscious has been more active than usual. My brain is really active now while I'm resting my body. It's as if the brain has more time to be active while the morphine has taken the pain load off the body - and I'm certain that the morphine is making the brain think things it wouldn't without it too, or the stories in my head wouldn't be as vivid and far out as they have been. I haven't written them down, and I have no examples, but every time I do recall them--even just for a few minutes after I awaken--they are so real that I could swear on their validity. Then I realize where I am, and what's in my system.

I can really see how some of the greatest writers (of books and music) also have been been drug addicts. Perhaps other drugs can do the trick, in other ways for other people. Since this is the first drug I've really tested, I am no expert on the topic, but I can see how it fits together. And it still leaves me a firm believer in not doing drugs recreationally. If one can't deal with real life without drugs, why run from the problems even temporarily when everything is still there once the drugs have worn off? Plus - drug addiction rarely affects only the person taking them, and I have no intention to ruin anybody's life but my own (if it ever came to that).

Kind of good to know though, that I have a mind full of stories that can surface under the influence. I've always loved to write, even if I have no storytelling skills whatsoever.

No comments:

Post a Comment