Monday, May 4, 2009

Welcome to Moronia

I think I have come back to a country of Morons.

There are no good Swedish shows on TV, no good Swedish movies, and the more my memory and new experiences of Swedish humour come to me, the more I feel like I'm surrounded by idiots. For relatives, it doesn't matter since they're family (and I don't judge them much since it's nice to see most of them this time around), but about others - it's terrifying! I've never liked British humour, but now I am realizing that Swedish humour is just as bad! Part of it here is that it seems to be politically correct to act stupid, and since getting totally drunk is a Swedish (Nordic?) heritage, almost no one acts smart intentionally.

Maybe mentioning the term 'politically correct' is wrong. It doesn't exist here. I know that the vikings burped and farted as a sign of respect to the host and hostess that they were full and content after a meal, but it appears to still be accepted to do those things without a sign of apologies. In almost a month here now, I haven't heard ANYONE excuse themselves for any bodily noise, and that's a bit hard to get used to. If I acted like that when I first came to Canada and the US, I apologize to you now. However, I don't think I did. I think I have always been more civilized than that.

Time to get to bed, or at least soon. I'm hoping for a letter from the doctor tomorrow, saying I am invited to an appointment some time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment