The health care system in Sweden is totally confusing. I just got back here, so I have no clue what is going on. Expected. But when I talk to my cousin and her husband who both work as nurse/EMT (?) have no clue either, I am stunned.
The situation is that I have come to the point where I REALLY need to see a doctor, as I am (my back is) getting worse by the day. I can't even turn myself in bed without waking myself up from the pain. I tip-toe around the house, because it hurts too much to walk normally as the heel hits the floor and pain shoots through my spine.
I have been waiting for a letter from the doctor's office, saying I have an appointment. Today, I called them again, and it turns out there is such a shortage in doctors that they still haven't found one that can schedule me in the foreseeable future. Yay.
My other option was to go to the emergency room, which we have none in this town. The nearest one is 30kms away, and if you show up unexpected, you better be really seriously hurt in a life or death situation, or you'll end up spending the next day or two waiting. Since I'm not dying from this yet, I would end up waiting forever. How do I know I would have to wiat? I called the number you're supposed to call if you get sick and don't need an ambulance, and talkd for a while with this person who is supposed to find the best solution for borderline emergency cases. I ended up getting the advice to try to find a private doctor, and see what they can do for me. *SIGH*
Tomorrow, I'll call around to the few private clinics here in town to see if any of them have any openings, and if they are part of the health care system that gives you free health care once a certain amount of medical bills is reached. My cousin is on standby to give me a ride, since I yet have to receive my renewed driver's licence. Then again, I'm not sure I should drive in this condition anyways.
Tomorrow will be interesting. I just wish I had some positive news to write here about my back. One day, I will!!!! I'm just not sure when that'll be...
Monday, May 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment